Today is Good Friday. The weather is beautiful ~ although a bit too windy. I helped my good friend Tammy deliver Meals on Wheels this morning. This is one of many projects that Lombard Junior Woman's Club actively participates in. Up until August when I started working again ~ Tammy & I had always worked together in delivering the meals. I would drive and she would take the meals up to the houses. We had a system and it worked well!!! Tammy's been doing it on her own and she's refined the system even more ~ She even takes it up to a house that she would never have before! It's always a concern when someone doesn't answer or they say they aren't feeling well. Most are elderly and/or disabled and on their own. Some have nurses that either stay with them or stop in to check on them. Today Tammy had to inform the staff at the Township that one of the ladies wasn't feeling right. They in turn will call that persons emergency contact. Hopefully she is alright...
The biggest reason I have always loved helping with Meals on Wheels was because my Grandparents benefited from it when they were alive. They lived in a rural area in Wisconsin where the houses were spread out over the countryside, where our stops are relatively close to each other. Even as a young adult I always felt that the person who delivered the meals to my grandparents was "wonderful" because they would spend a second or two to chat with them. Sometimes that person would be their only outside contact for the day. Even though I can't help out with the project like I used to I'm entrusting that Tammy will continue to pay it forward and that hopefully, someday if needed ~ we may benefit from someone bringing us a meal. But most importantly ~ stopping for a second or two to chat...
Friday, April 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never knew that about your grandparents! See I am going to learn new things about you!!
ReplyDelete